We were given money for Christmas that we used to purchase our own grainmill and powerful mixer/kneader. In the meantime, I visited a friend who showed me how she uses her similar equipment to make bread. I have been nervous to try it myself! (I tend to work up to things...)
But yesterday was THE DAY. So I started with this (wheat berries)...
And ended up with this....... along with three other loaves. It tastes a little "healthy," which will take some getting used to, but has good texture. My kids think it is the best thing ever and were actually cheering!
I have read that bread made from fresh ground flour has higher protein content, more fiber, more essential oils, more vitamin E, more thiamine, etc., etc. than bread made from flour you buy in the store. This is because fresh ground (unrefrigerated) flour goes rancid in 72 hours, unless portions of the grain are removed and/or processed. So expect us all to be glowing with health from now on. Ha!
Hopefully I will keep doing this periodically and get better at it. Or at least teach the children to do it... :)
I hope to get more tips from my bread-baking Dad. I didn't start with him, though, because he kneads "for real" (by hand) and I knew I wasn't up for that at this point. Now that something edible has emerged from my oven, I'm ready for tips, Dad!
1 week ago
5 comments:
I was introduced to this grain mill contraption at last year's HS convention. I've been intrigued ever since. My two good friends that were sort of into "healthy" and actually used the mill moved this past year--can you even believe that!! (whole 'nother issue;0) anywhoo, I'd like to learn more about getting started. Where do you get the grain??
Welcome, welcome to the bread baking world!!
It's so delish, isn't it?
I'm so proud of you!!
It looks so yummy! Did it take very long to make?
Well -- I am working on where to get the grain. The best is from Montana, but shipping is high unless you want a pallet. Grain anyone? A friend gave me the bit I used.
And yes, it took forever, but mostly because I was clueless. I am told it goes much faster eventually. I keep y'all posted.
Yummy! I can almost smell and taste the fresh-from-the-oven bread! Once you get the hang of it, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes of hands-on time, including clean-up. Most of the time is in letting it rise, and then the baking time, which brings folks from all parts of the house into the kitchen right about the time it's done. Bring on the butter & jam!
(You can always order from UNFI; yours truly is a buyer.)
Post a Comment