Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Piano Soliliquy

I have been feeling stressed, disorganized, and generally out of sorts the last few days. Logically, the best thing I could have done this afternoon (during our short homeschooling break after lunch) was get organized -- plan school for the next few days, unload the dishwasher, make a grocery list, etc. But what did I do instead? Play piano.

It's been a long time since I've played the piano. Months. I played Greensleeves, A Stranger in Paradise, Carol of the Bells, Fur Elise, and Amazing Grace (that one several times, paying attention to all the verses). I have forgotten the calm that comes to my soul from playing. It doesn't even matter that I'm not good. The kids were all off reading to each other and I just sat in the sunshine alone and played soothing music. And miraculously, no one interrupted me. Aaaaaahhhhhh....

There are so many reasons to require children to learn an instrument: improved math scores, learning the rewards of diligence, appreciation of music and culture, etc. But this is the most wonderful reason... to have a way to make music for a lifetime. It is so different from listening.

4 comments:

Laurie and company said...

music is a salve to a harried and stressed soul.
glad you took the time to do that for yourself. Hope you can dig yourself out!!
I'm praying for you, deary.

Sherry at the Zoo said...

I've always wanted to learn to play the piano. Maybe someday I will.

You've just confirmed that the money is worth it...I'm glad my kids are taking lessons.

Big hugs!

Ann said...

Hey there! I've been reading your blog and couldn't resist posting a comment this time. I've started playing the piano again too! It's awesome. The girls usually dance while I play and have even asked me to play more. If you ever want to trade pieces let me know. "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban has been fun to try.

Laurie and company said...

I'm lovin' your new header!! what an adorable pic.
hope your week has looked up and that you have found some of what you were looking for.
peace,
L