Monday, January 28, 2008

Elise's "End of an Era"

Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spellingis our book of choice for teaching little ones how to read. It is straightforward, easy to use for just a few minutes a day, and extremely effective. It has worked wonders with both our girls, one of whom was eager to learn and one reluctant.

In fact, Elise just finished the last page today -- bringing an end to the "Phonics" lessons we've done off and on since her PreK year. Sniff, sniff... She started with the short vowels and "sa, se, si, so, su". She ended today with "And now, my regretful but unavoidable and inescapable conclusion is that we have just finished this intensive and substantial book. This is the END!"

Brett is only about 14 pages in. It's encouraging to think of where he will hopefully end up in a few years.

I hope that sharing this is helpful to someone. I really think it's foolproof, barring some learning disabilities -- and even then it has good reviews! And it's easy -- one reasonably priced book that takes a child from learning letter sounds to breezing through chapter books. No flashcards, games, videos, or gimmicks. (Of course you can add them if you want, but if you're busy and have 10 minutes a day max -- this will turn out good readers just the same!)

7 comments:

Laurie and company said...

Where does one get this book? It sounds like it's highly recommended and I appreciate your post on it. It's like you were reading my mind when it came to working w/ Levi!
Gracias

Sherry at the Zoo said...

How come my Phonics Pathway book doesn't look like yours? I guess mine must be an older edition.

Hey...btw...how fast do you take them through it? One page a day? Several pages a day?

My internet is down at home. Send me an email and some day when Insight gets their act together I'll be able to read your response. (I'm a little bitter, can you tell - or maybe it is withdrawel?? LOL)

AndrewG said...

I've been hearing all about your blogging prowess, so I decided to check it out. Pretty impressive. Keep up the good work.

AndrewG said...

Hey Charmaine. It's me again. Just wanted to comment not on your blog entry this time, but on the incredibly insightful comment you made on my music-in-the-church article. I had never considered the importance of what circumstances in which the hymns were written as compared to the affluence in which modern worship songs are written, and why that's important. Maybe I should have you write one of my next articles. That was a GREAT insight. Thanks for sharing.

Nicky said...

Waiting to hear updates on your business but not wanting to bug you. How did you get that picture in your title bar? I agree with Andy's comment on your comment about hymns. Perspective is a powerful tool when determining truth! Smooch.

Charmaine said...

Hey ya'll. Andy, glad you liked my little comment -- I have a definite thing for hymns (and church not being a place for performance).

Nicky (and everyone) please keep praying about the business. This week we will have to make some final decisions and we really need to see the Lord's plan here.

And I got the title bar my making it first in Photoshop (text and all) and importing it as an image.

Laurie and company said...

Ok, #1, I need Photoshop. Now.
#2, I got my Phonics Pathway yesterday and need to see an example of how you do it...just a little shove in the right direction!
#3, I meant to comment on the King cake on that post but will do it here...love that the baby fell out while you were cutting it. hee hee.
#4, We will be praying for you guys this week, as final decisions are made with the business!