I wanted to share a favorite C.S. Lewis quote that came to mind today (and yes, I had to look it up in the book -- it didn't ALL come to mind)...
I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic -- on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg -- or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.
Isn't that a great quote? It's from "Mere Christianity," a book I hope to dig into more deeply someday soon. It's known as the "Lord, Liar, or Lunatic" alternative, I believe. I've heard people say that they think Jesus was a great man and a good example to follow, but not divine. They think He was meek and humble (as He was). But what kind of meek, humble, "great man" goes around saying he's the Son of God? And if He's not (and thus a liar or a lunatic), then why would we follow His example or even regard Him highly?
It seems you can't have it both ways...
1 week ago
6 comments:
Great quote Charmaine.
I'm kind of worried about your Christmas tree post from yesterday. Did the Christmas-tree-put-away fairy come visit you?
Yes, but she looks an awful lot like me... :)
Ever read "Abolition of Man"? David enjoys some good CS Lewis (yes, we Waverly-tucky folk CAN read)...this post makes me want to pull out some of those books again and get brainy like you.
He is an incredible author.
No, I haven't. It's on "my list." Maybe we can read it together sometime?
Great quote Charmaine! I audited a course on the works of C.S. Lewis when I was in college. It was awesome, and I learned and read some great stuff both about and by C.S. Lewis. I wish I could take it again.
I never ran across this though and I wish I had of. It's great and I will tuck it away in my mental file cabinet. I have had the experience Lewis describes a number of time... someone telling what a great teacher/profit even that Jesus was, but that he wasn't God. Frankly, we always were left just staring down into the great chasm that our different beleifs about who Jesus was created.
The point Lewis makes really gives you something to think about and has great potential to be a bridge across the chasm!
Thanks for sharing : )
Beverly Ann
There is no such thing as a Christmas Tree Fairy. I swear (but not very often) the lies parents tell their kids.
Post a Comment