Saturday, February 2, 2008

Christian Well-Trained Mind?

(My friend Cari and her beautiful family came to visit last week. And of course we did what homeschool moms like best -- talked curriculum and methodology, of course! Since I tend to follow many of the recommendations in the book The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home, my friend asked me if the author, Susan Wise Bauer, is a Christian. I knew that she is, and know that as my friend reads further in the above book she will see evidence of that. However, as I thought over our conversation, I remembered an article that Susan Wise Bauer had written on the topic of how her faith impacted the writing of this book.)

Susan Wise Bauer's article, "A Neutral Education?" can be found at this link... http://www.welltrainedmind.com/neutral.php. It's a great article from lots of perspectives. It brings up questions like "Can public education ever truly be neutral?" and "Does using a Christian textbook that you disagree with doctrinally actually cause more trouble for a Christian parent?" Interesting stuff. Just wanted to share. Let me know what you think... :)

7 comments:

{Happy Homes} said...

Wow! What a great article. I pretty much agree with the whole thing. Sometimes, as Christians, I think we can get to isolated and thus render our service to the Lord useless. If all we are reaching out to is other Christian's (which is good)we miss the big picture of sharing the Good News of Christ with others. I just wrote a little blub out of Lev. about how God created and gave creative ability for us to use for his Glory...man, I think we might be better off actually discussing this one in person! :0) Blessings,
t

Sherry at the Zoo said...

hey there...I keep coming back and coming back to this post...

You are such a thought provoking blogger!

Laurie and company said...

hope everyone is a-ok over your way!

Charmaine said...

Yep -- we're okay. Just a little sick and a little buried...

Laurie and company said...

glad to hear that you are alive. hope you all get better and unburied. apparently our husbands are unburied and going to lunch tomorrow...when do we get a girl's day out? :) no pressure!

Nicky said...

I can confirm that she is still among the living, but barely. Can someone bring her some soup? Smooch.

Henry Cate said...

"Can public education ever truly be neutral?"

I think in teaching the very basics on reading, writing and arithmetic you can be close to neutral. However, as soon as you start to teach subjects like history and scientist there is no way to be neutral.